We've had an ear infection since October. OCTOBER. Four Months. We've been on Augmenten, Amoxicillin, and Omnicef since we were picking out pumpkins. So basically his stomach has been upset and he's had an insanely bad case of diaper rash that entire time. All the way through Turkeys and Christmas Tree Lots. Irritable. In pain. Recurring fever of 99.5 - 101.0.
Miserably pitiful.
Here he is last week...101.6 and wouldn't leave my arms. (And yes, mom and mother-in-law, that is the vacuum sitting in the middle of our dining room, along with the stroller and a lego wagon...it's been a bad week).
Our "Last Resort" began the week of Christmas. A six-week dose of amoxicillin to see if, while on an antibiotic, he developed an ear infection.
He woke up last Thursday morning at 5 AM screaming. Didn't go back to sleep. He would only stop screaming if he was in your arms. So Mommy and Daddy each spent an hour in his rocking chair humming along to Celtic Women hoping desperately for a little more sleep. The kid sleeps at least 12 hours. Always. So when he doesn't, we know something's up.
I called the doctor, went in at 9, and...Daddy's Right. Left ear, ding ding ding! We have a winner!
We went to the ENT this morning, and will find out this afternoon when they'll place the tubes. We are going to be in Dallas seeing friends with new babies this weekend, so it'll be next week for sure.
He talks non-stop, so we know this hasn't interfered with language acquisition. This morning he saw our neighbor's white car in their driveway and said, "Bee's Car...?" He knows his Aunt Bee Bee drives a white car...and he speaks well enough to tell us that.
What I am curious about, however, is his propensity to shriek at a frequency of glass-shattering proportions. I'm hoping and praying that he's just not quite hearing how loud he is, and that this will clear some of it up.
The only downside to this all (once again insert Daddy Knows Best) is that in early December, (when his right ear received a bad rating on his tympanogram and the left ear was so full of fluid that it received a negative reading, meaning the ear drum was already being pushed out) I told the doctor that I felt pretty confident saying this would likely be our outcome. Remember me breaking my ankle Thanksgiving weekend? Yeah, deductible's met doc. Throw me a bone. Still, we waited.
Oh well, we'll meet Benjamin's portion for the year before Valentine's Day. I guess it all comes out in the wash.
2 comments:
Jenny he's so cute! I'm sorry for the ear troubles! Better to reach the deductible early than later in the year
Oh bummer! I know the ear infections stink!! The tubes are helpful though - but don't stop the infections completely (Andrew STILL gets them with tubes!) but at least you don't get the ruptured ear drums...YAY! Poor babies.. one day they'll grow out of this!!! :)
Post a Comment