I misplace things. Habitually. It's at least once per day that I've misplaced my wallet or checkbook or my keys or my favorite razorback toboggan, though I usually just stuck it on a weird shelf. Like the very top of our china cabinet that has extra moulding which puts said objects just out of the line of vision.
This weekend it's my wallet. And everything in it, of course. I'm at least 75% sure that Benjamin is the culprit. I took him to get a biscuit from McDonald's yesterday morning. Drove thru. Distinctly remember the lady handing me back my red debit card and receipt. I wouldn't have handed her my entire wallet. Even so, I called them thinking that a small lapse in judgement might have caused me to reach out the window with wallet in hand and simply drop it on the ground.
They didn't find it. Must not have happened.
I know that I didn't have it when I left the house the next time. We didn't make any stops between McDonald's and the house the first time. But it's gone. Either someone came in, left the mac, digital cameras, hdtv, some moderately-priced jewelry and took it in the off chance that I wouldn't cancel my cards, or Benjamin hid it.
So I've spent the day canceling everything. Except my Sam's corporate card, which our office manager will have to do on Monday. I'll start from scratch.
I'm angry at myself for allowing this to happen. I can replace the cards. I'll get a new driver's license. Obviously I'll get a new wallet. But it's my own fault for not putting it in the same place every time. Maybe this will by the new leaf I turn over. Maybe now I will purchase one of those feaux-leather, feaux-suede-lined valet trays for a drawer (obviously one out of Ben's reach) and start storing everything properly. Who knows. This may be the first day of the rest of my life...
And while I'm on the subject of things that disappear from plain sight...
Socks. Specifically Benjamin's socks. I went to Children's place recently and - seduced by the discounted merchandise - bought him twenty-one pair of socks (an already-reduced pair wasn't part of the deal, making my even twenty the odd twenty-one).
Seriously. It was November. I think he has four complete pair remaining.
Does the washer, in fact, eat his socks? It's a fair question. If, during agitation, water goes over the top of the tub, it is pumped out from the bottom of the tub. So one could reason to say that small pieces of cotton could also go over the edge and be pumped out from the bottom. What do you think?
Personally, I'm waiting for MythBusters to charge head-on into the phenomenon.
3 comments:
The wallet thing STINKS!! I'm really sorry. I have to be honest with you on the sock thing, I've never lost one of Spencer's. Now, mine are a different story, but I usually find them stuck to the inside of something else. It does seem possible they could go over the top of the wash basin, however, I have to say that would mean you are filling it too full with clothes. I am a freak, but I purposely put way less than the washer "could" hold 'cause I'm so scared of wearing it out/breaking it. The silver lining: if you find 32 toddler socks stuffed somewhere in a year or two you have an award winning book on your hands!
Thirteen years and half a dozen kids into parenthood, I can definitely attest to the fact that things disappear by the hands of our kids - like my car keys that ended up inside a vase in the back corner of a lower cabinet that I rarely, if ever, used - they were missing for more than a year - finally found them when we packed up and moved! my oldest was 2 at the time and refused to admit to any wrongdoing - or the rented dvd that we're about to be buying even though, if the trend holds, we won't be watching any time in the near future because I'm pretty sure we don't have any plans to move anytime soon - and the movie is definitely not worth buying (i don't even think it was worth renting!) And as for the socks, yes, the washer eats them, and when it's eaten enough of them, the plumber will come "burp" your washer for a hefty little fee. My advice: buy a little bag for washing delicates in, only use it for those socks (because we all know that after kids, we're not wearing delicates any more) - it's a whole lot cheaper! Enjoy the journey! It's full of surprises :D
I know we're brand stinkin' new at this, but I'm putting Shepherd's socks in a zippered lingerie laundry bag when I wash them because we lost 5 socks just in the process of washing everything up for the first time before he even arrived. So far it's working... Good luck on cancelling/redoing everything with your wallet. That stinks.
Post a Comment