Basically, what is happening is a failure of both lungs due to her chemotherapy treatments for Hodgkin's Lymphoma, diagnosed at the end of 2007. She has had heart trouble for over a decade, and the last I heard today was that she is heavily sedated - more than she has been up to now - and her pulse is really high. The fear now is that if they back off her sedation, she will go into cardiac arrest. The amount of Oxygen that is being given to her continuously is also high enough that she is at risk of Oxygen poisoning.
John and Jennifer have been married eleven years, and have a 4 year-old. The past eight months have been torture for young Abby as Jennifer spent time in Minnesota at The Mayo Clinic, then began chemotherapy, and now has been out of sight for weeks. She has been staying with my parents through this most recent situation, but you can see how she is being affected by the turmoil. It is truly one of the most heartbreaking situations I have ever known of.
I have not been to see Jennifer or my brother since she was first put on life support. All that you can do is sit and wait, and as much as I know he enjoys our family being there to support him, I have Jenny and Benjamin and my job to contend with. VBS is the week after next, and I can't even begin to process all that needs to happen on that end when every time I hear a text message alert on my phone I'm expecting it to be my mother or John saying "Come Now," or "It's Over..."
As much as I pray that those words won't be uttered, I am afraid our fears are becoming reality.
Please keep all of us in your thoughts and prayers. We have a huge family and a terrific support system, but this is truly overwhelming.
5 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about what is happening in your family. We just went through a similar situation ourselves, and it is absolutely heartbreaking. You all are definitely in my prayers.
I am really sorry to hear about this Todd. It breaks my heart for that little girl. Will be thinking about you and your family. It seems that I know alot of people going through hard times right now.
We will keep you guys in our prayers. Please let us know if we can do anything!
We will be praying for you and your family. It's a tough situation, even when you know the inevitable is near.
I stumbled onto your blog somehow and read about your brother's wife. As I read, I cried. I'm in my 30's, have a young daughter, married almost 10 years and have gone through 2 different cancers (1coming back) twice in the past couple of years. I've gone through kidney removal, chemo., ICU,...the works! I know how hard it is and will pray for your family by name during this difficult time. Thankfully, your brother has support from church, family and friends...it DOES make a difference.
I am now 1 year cancer-free.
Post a Comment