Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yes, Dr. Murphy...I know


Several years ago, Jenny and I were interviewing with a church in Tennessee. It was to be my first job after seminary. We had emailed back and forth with this church, and while we were in Arkansas over Spring Break, we agreed to drive over and meet the committee for lunch.

A few moments in, Dr. Murphy, one of the members of the search committee, asked me if I "Knew I had a great wife..."At random points during
the lunch/interview...he would interrupt and say, "But do you know you have a great wife???"

We later learned that one of my references had responded to the committee's email questions about me with the response..."Good guy. Good family. Great wife."

It struck the committee members as funny - to me it was very typical of this individual's busy schedule to just shoot a quick response from his Blackberry. And I think for the most part he was right on the money.

It's taken almost 8 years and two sons for me to realize how great she is.

It's 9:30, and we've been in complete peaceful quiet since 8:30. She's trained our two boys to be sleepers. Benjamin is three years and almost four months, and he takes a solid 2.5 (sometimes 3) hour nap every day. And he sleeps every night from at least 8:30 to 7:30. Sometimes 7:30 - 7:30.

We had a rough couple of nights at my parents just due to Luke being in the room with us, and Jenny said at one point, "As soon as we get home, we're taking care of this..."

I knew exactly what she meant, and exactly what she was about to do.

We were about to cry it out. Baby Wise. Brace-yourself-restrain-yourself-fix-a-big-bowl-of-ice-cream-and-get-really-engrossed-in-a-rerun-of-Grey's-Anatomy crying it out.

Friday night was round one. Saturday, round two. And tonight...round three.

Victorious.

He went down at 8:30. Cried for 5 minutes. And then he was out.

She's an amazing mom.

Add to it the fact that she just cut my hair while I sat in the living room.

Yes, Dr. Murphy. I know.

I have a great wife.

Love you, baby.

2 comments:

hannah said...

this is so great. i always tell clint that he should be more appreciative of the sleep training i did with pratt. and will do with max. because i am pretty certain that when kids get the sleep they need, they behave better. and i'm willing to even say they do/act better all around.

you're a good husband and daddy. and yes, she's a good wife and mom. those boys are lucky.

Lauren said...

Awwww! You DO have a great wife. No doubt about it. And getting those kids to sleep is HUGE--as we all know.

Watch me Grow...

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Me Too...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers