Sunday, March 21, 2010

A First...And a Letdown

Thursday afternoon, we were preparing to leave for Jonesboro to see my parents. Benjamin had just finished a three+ hour nap, and Jenny and I had taken a short nap ourselves.

Ben was standing at the front door looking out when we heard a familiar sound in the distance...

The Ice Cream Man.

Immediately, Jenny exclaimed, "Ben, It's the Ice Cream Man."

At which point he began repeating, "Ice cream man...Ice cream man!" Though, of course, he had no idea who or what an Ice Cream Man might be.

After a few moments of waving him back and setting off our car alarm to catch his attention, he finally stopped a few houses past ours. Apparently (who knew???) the Ice Cream Insurers of America prohibit trucks from backing up. Safety first! It actually makes perfect sense with little ones trailing after. Still, it was interesting to us.

But I digress.

So, the Ice Cream Man stopped for us, and I ran back inside to grab some money from his Piggy Bank. Shameful, I know. But we never have cash. And I wasn't sure what ice cream is going for these days, so I grabbed a few dollars.

As I grabbed the camera and headed out, I see Benjamin, in his brand new navy keds, holding his Mommy with one hand and his balloon from Franke's Cafeteria in the other hand, walking down our street.

It may have been the cutest thing I have ever seen.

I caught up with them, and the young ice cream man was more than willing to be in our photographs. He even repeatedly "handed" Ben's selection to us to get multiple shots of this first.

We were so excited. Ben was so excited. I think the Ice Cream Man was even excited.

So, imagine the letdown when I turned the camera on last night to find that the CF card was not inserted.

Hopefully, the weather will be nice this week, our Ice Cream Man will return, and we can repeat the process as though it never happened.

Those are the breaks.


2 comments:

Jill said...

Well see, that's what you get from stealing money out of your little boys piggy bank! HA! Seriously, that's a bummer, but I'm SURE the ice cream truck man will come again soon!!! :) And this time, Ben will know exactly who he is and what he will give him! :)

Lauren said...

Noooooooooooo! Pretty soon he'll be able to find the cash before y'all even hear the truck.

Watch me Grow...

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Me Too...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers