Monday, December 1, 2008

Settling for something better...

Okay, so let me just own up to it. We're not going to the Dallas Symphony this year, and I'm a little sad by that. Jenny and I have attended Christmas Celebration 5 out of the last 6 Christmases that we have been together, and we've always enjoyed making a weekend of it...shopping, eating, and just enjoying the hustle and bustle of mid-December in Dallas. 

One of my favorite parts of the concert every year is the performace of Still, Still, Still, an Austrian carol that I can only describe as the perfect holiday lullaby. So each year I listen to various arrangements and performances of this particular piece to get me ready. If you've never heard it, download it on iTunes. The UCLA Madrigal performance on "Hark, How the Bells" is particularly nice. 

This afternoon, as I attempted to rock Benjamin to sleep after a nearly four-hour battle, I popped in Still as a last-ditch effort. As I watched his face go from exhausted frustration to complete peace, and I felt his body relax as he fell asleep, I've experienced the peace which that song brings in the most perfect way. 

And with regards to missing Christmas Celebration 2008, I feel that I've found a suitable alternative. 

2 comments:

katie said...

i've sung that song before!! it's so great!! :) hope you guys are feeling better!!

Meredith said...

You could totally use ceramic tiles for the coasters...I just copied the ones I saw that were marble. They are a lot heftier. The ceramic would be much smoother for gluing.

Funny how our babies have a way of putting things into perspective for us. Glad Benjamen enjoys the music as well as you.

Watch me Grow...

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Me Too...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers