Okay - so definitely the most unique post I have ever done. Show us your life...Singles Edition. It's crazy how many people read Kelly's Blog!
Meet my brother, John.
WHERE DO I START? Maybe 28 years ago when he would convince me that I was the lucky one to break the candy bar in half, and then he was the one who got to choose...knowing very well that I was not able to break them into equal portions...so he got to choose the bigger half...uggh. It still gets to me. I'll not even go into the ways he tormented me with gummy bears.
Okay, seriously. Where do I start?
I'm so lucky to have a brother. So lucky. And so excited that I can do this and hopefully lead him into new friendships or maybe something even more. But it's still so weird to be doing this.
John is a widow. What a horrible thing to have to say about your brother...especially when we are so young. John lost his wife of over 11 years to lymphoma...it will be three years this summer. It's something we still can't believe happened. He's probably one of the most genuinely decent guys in Northeast Arkansas. So decent in fact that I don't think there are many women out there who deserve him.
And let me say now (and this is probably why my parents and I are so protective and cautious of his future relationships)...if you are insecure or prone to jealously...move on. Because he didn't divorce his wife. He didn't throw away a marriage. He lost his best friend and the mother of his child. If you're insecure and can't make room for another woman in your life, then step aside, because he needs someone who will love him, adore his daughter, and welcome the memory of the past as a future is built.
Okay, so there's the background. Here are the stats:
Name: John
Age: Late 30's
Occupation: Photographer (I know, I know...everyone is a photographer these days. But he's good. Like "Oh yeah, he's that guy that does my kid's team sports photos" good.
Children: One daughter. First grade. Perhaps the sweetest child you will ever meet, and incredibly sure of herself and aware of what has happened to her.
College: Ouachita Baptist University. Degree: Mass Communications and Music.
Favorite Teams: Razorbacks. Texas Rangers. Dallas Stars.
Hobbies: He's a golfer. A serious golfer. And when I say he's a golfer, I mean he's the one that other golfers stop and stare at on the driving range. For me...the son who didn't get the athletic gene...it's disgusting to watch. He's that good. So good that Tiger Woods doesn't impress him. Think a little more classy...like Payne Stewart and Phil Mickelson.
Faith: Born-again Christian. Attends worship and Life Group a growing, vibrant Baptist church most weeks, and joins our parents at their church other weeks.
Greatest Attributes: Hilarious sense of humor. Loves Christmas more than any child I know. Loves being around his family. Has INCREDIBLE parents. He's giving. Loves giving gifts so much he'll usually tell you what he got you before you open it because he's so excited about it. It's his love language, whether he knows it or not.
Other Info: He loves being a dad, and I hope and pray that he will be able to marry and have more children. But I think he's okay if that doesn't happen, too. He's apt to forget to return a movie to the redbox for a few days, but he'll remember your birthday or anniversary. And probably send flowers. He's also extremely laid back, which is an accomplishment coming from a father who wears chino shorts to work in the yard. Seriously. Our dad doesn't own jeans.
My only brother with my only Niece.

Good luck!
31 comments:
He is handsome. I am 29 in Nashville.
He looks like an amazing man. I am 40 and live in Searcy, AR. I am a therapist and specialize in marriage and family therapy. I am looking for a man after God's own heart. Please contact me at kathy_reynolds20@yahoo.com. Have a great day, Kathy Reynolds
What a great post about your brother. I can tell he loves his little girl! He sounds wonderful. I'm 29 and live in Northeast LA and work as a social worker. I'm #171 on Kelly's blog and my email is ashk525@yahoo.com
please check out my friend Adria, number 18, 35 year old doc in LR. I showed her your post and she is interested in emailing your brother.
He seems like a great guy. I live in Dallas. I grew up in Arkansas and still love to visit. I'm # 90 on the list.
betsy76@sbcglobal.net
My sister is late 30's as well, a strong, beautiful, loving Christian woman who works as a hospice nurse in the st. louis area. She has no children of her own as of yet but is wonderful with them (we have 4 nephews and 1 niece). I noticed that they do have quite a bit in common and I would love to see the 2 of them connect! She created a post on my blog for Kelly's SUYL but there are 2 pics of her and I together. Please feel free to go over and check it out. My email is ashlee.kirk05@gmail.com Email me if you'd like to help these 2 get connected!
Here's my blog:
http://agapeadventures.blogspot.com/2011/01/meet-my-sister-ashlee.html
My sister is # 154. She loves kids, teaches & coaches, has never been married and has a cat.
My friends Alayna and Dee posted #18 for me. I’ve read your blog and think you are a very thoughtful and loving person to post this about our brother. It was refreshing to read that your family is involved, and cautions about his potential mates. I’m not a jealous person (loved your frankness with that!) and am looking for someone that is close to their family and think it is important to be accepted by their family and friends. Given his loss, if he is emotionally available I would like to meet him. I’m 35, never married, no children (would like children), earned my MD in Reno NV, my BS in Cellular Molecular Biology at UNLV. I’m not a golfer but love golf carts! Gift giving is my love language (Gary Chapman, a must read) and charity is important to me. Self sacrifice and grace has given me privileges that my family has never known. Now in central AR for over 3 years I am about to start a child and adolescent fellowship with hopes of working full-time as a child and adolescent psychiatrist. I can be reached at adria_carney (at) yahoo (dot) com.
My best friend lives in Arkansas. She is in her early 30's. Great Christian girl. She is from a wonderful family. She has said many times that she would love to meet a man that has children, and would love to have some together! She went to college in Jonesboro and at the University of Arkansas in Fay. She currently lives in Central Arkansas. She is a teacher. She's very outgoing and fun loving. I'd love for her to meet a great guy! Her e-mail is jmrogers7@yahoo.com. Her name is Jennifer.
Thanks
Christi
My name is Kendra. I am 30, a teacher and live in Joplin, MO. What an unbelievable story about your brother. Impressed doesn't even begin to describe my thoughts. I don't have a blog, but he can look me up on facebook (Kendra Moberly) or email me at kmobes8@yahoo.com
So glad you wrote about him! :-) I hope he meets a great girl!!!
My friend posted about me. I'm Clancy #291 on the list. Your brother sounds like a great guy. I would love to learn more. My email is ccoffee1801@hotmail.com. Our blog is www.maggieelizabethtx.blogspot.com .
I have been reading through Kelly's listings just for fun. I really didn't plan to comment on any, and especially not this post because a) I still can't get used to unconventional dating methods and b) I live far away in New York City. There are obviously plenty of single gals in Arkansas for your brother to get to know.
But, for whatever reason I was particularly drawn to your post. And I am from Dallas, so I can relate to Arkansas a bit. Your family sounds wonderful and your brother seems like a great guy...with an adorable daughter! You can get a better idea of who I through my blog, or if your brother would like to get to know me better, I'd be happy to share more details through email!
Thanks!
Susan (suzinnewyork.blogspot.com)
After reading about John, I can't help but think of my sister. This may sound odd, but she has said before that she wouldn't mind marrying a widower. She is loving, caring, sweet Godly woman. She is a member of a big baptist church in St. Louis and serves in our AWANA program working with the cubbies. She is great with kids and loves the Lord. Her name is Lynn and she is 36 and lives in St. Louis, Mo. If you think Mark would be interested, e-mail me at fastykaste@yahoo.com.
Lisa
Hi! I just wanted to say hello to a fellow Bunch. I've never "met" someone with my same last name that's not family! How funny!
Hi! I was reading your blog about your brother and it brought back memories of a close friend of mine that lost his wife to cancer a few years ago. I went through the grief with him. Friends keep you strong!
I live in NWA and have played golf for about 20 years!! I saw that he is enjoys the game as well. I teach kindergarten and LOVE to be around kids, but also get to spend my summers golfing.
Would love to hear from you!!
marisa_shofner@yahoo.com
Your brother sounds like a great guy.
I am 42, short blond hair, blue eyes, 5'9". I live in Southern California.
I work as a Data Entry person. I have a sweet disposition and am down to earth. Caring and giving.
Have a great weekend.
Keri
casummer68@aol.com
I see my friend that I wrote about has already commented. (Marisa) HA! I think he would be perfect for him. You can go to my blog and check her out. She is also number 12 on the list.
www.circleofpopes.blogspot.com
It should say this:
"I think she would be perfect for him." not he would be perfect for him. HA!
im 29 from canada. im in nursing school right. poohrulz_11@hotmail.com
Hi, your brother seems great! My sister grew up in Arkansas and is a PK, too. They seem to have some things in common. She's #90 on the list.
I love your post about your brother. I love the honesty and the relationship you have. My name is Robyn. I'm 32 (will be 33 on Thursday :)) and I live in Memphis where I am the Communications Coordinator for a church. I would love to learn more about your brother. I can be reached at robyn_diane@yahoo.com.
I wanted to send best wishes the way of your brother and neice. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
I inititally was browsing these ads selfishing thinking I could find myself a fella. Now, I just feel called to send out a few prayers that others are able to connect with someone soon.
One of my friends from undergrad is losing her husband to cancer right now. I have never experienced something so frightening with a friend.
Words can't express the lessons I've learned about life from watching their journey. I've lost friends before... but when we were children or younger adults. This is different.
So, just wanted to let you know I'm sending prayers. I feel more fulfilled now by being able to reach out to people than if I'd found the man of my dreams right here.
Good luck to your brother! He's lucky to have a family who care so deeply about his needs.
I pray that your sweet brother finds the most amazing person and who will adore his sweet little girl as much as he does.
I feel for him so very much as my mother passed away when I was three and my dad was heart-broken. God provided for him with my Momma, who has loved me as her own since the day we met. I consider myself so very fortunate in that.
I am single as well, but I have only been divorced for under a year and I'm not ready for dating yet. I just wanted to let you know that your brother is in my prayers.
Have a blessed day,
Leah
Rockwall, TX
I really wish you could meet my friend Stephanie. She lost her husband to leukemia 3 years ago. She is such a godly woman and mom. Her blog is stephanieweathers.blogspot.com
hi. i'm interested in getting to know your brother. my blog is smartassdirect.com, and my email is criticalcrass@me.com. my single's post for kelly's blog is here: http://bit.ly/h3ktuT.
thanks!
--jenn
I can't believe your post. I'm sitting here in disbelief of the man you just described...but I know it's true because I know his female counterpart: the one he hasn't met yet.
So, where do I start? My dearest friend, Stephanie, is a widow. She lost her husband of 10 years to leukemia...it will be three years this summer. It's something we still can't believe happened. She is absolutely one of the most genuinely decent ladies in South Mississippi. So decent in fact that your brother may be one of the only men who deserve her.
And let me say now (and this is probably why her parents and friends are so protective and cautious of her future relationships)...thank the good Lord above that John is not insecure or prone to jealously. Because she didn't divorce her husband. She didn't throw away a marriage. She lost her best friend and the father of her three children.
By now I hope you get the picture. As another friend, Kaysha, suggested just a few comments previously, please look at her blog. The similarities between these two are just too astounding to be coincidental.
I am a 37 year old BWM (balding white male), but I am not interested in your brother....though my wife and I would like very much to arrange for John to meet our dear, dear friend Stephanie. Several have already suggested this idea, but we insist. Perhaps we could pay to have John fly down south and have him photograph her family. What do you think?? He'll need to be mighty special, but I think there is hope here. We've been thinking something like "Sleepless in South Mississippi."
On a serious side, your brother and Stephanie have so much in common in their stories of faith, love, and loss, grief and hope. And, nobody has mentioned this, and you probably won't see this side of her on caringbridge, but Stephanie's sense of humor is second to none. Let's figure out a way to make this happen. timcarley@comcast.net
I'm also a friend of Stephanie's. She okay.
Do you see a common thread here? I certainly don't think this is a coincidence. In addition to all the similarities that were mentioned above about my friend, Stephanie and your brother, one thing stood out to me. "...but he'll remember your birthday." You see, Stephanie LOVES her birthday quite possibly more than any one person on the face of the earth. So, the fact that your brother wouldn't forget her birthday is a HUGE plus and is certainly no accident! These two MUST meet and soon!
Wow. I can't come up with anything better to say than that right now. I am amazed at a few different things here.
First of all, the love between brothers touches my heart, having two older brothers of my own.
Secondly, I thoroughly understand not giving up on a marriage. I understand being married to my best friend, my most harsh critic, yet my biggest fan. I was married to my partner in crime, my crying shoulder, and my confidant. I did not give up and walk out. I do not understand why my young daughters lost their dad to death at such a young age, but I know I will understand one day.
One promise that I made to myself was that my girls would not lose both of their parents. I knew that my attitude and my choices would determine and set the tone for healing in our family. It has been nearly five years and we are doing great. My girls are my heart.
What I hope to be blessed with one day is a man who welcomes them, cares for them, and instinctively loves them as he loves me. Is this precious act of Kelly's Corner going to be the answer to that? Who knows? What I do know is this text written by one brother about another touched me and brought me to tears.
Sincerely,
kbaird71@yahoo.com
Post a Comment