Thursday, February 26, 2009

Will Someone PLEASE Tell Us What to Do

He's Screaming.

I don't mean yelling. I don't mean hollering.

He is screaming...at the top of his lungs. The most blood-curdling, shrill, high-pitched scream possible. I don't know how he's not hoarse.

I just got back from lunch with he and Jenny. Between Jimmy's on Markham and my office less than a mile away, he screamed so much and so high that my ears are hurting into my neck...if that's even possible.

What do you do? Ignore it? Gently say "no?" Scream back at him????

Lord help us.

5 comments:

Jill said...

I actually witnessed that yesterday at the luncheon for a split second...I thought someone was cutting his finger off...perfectly fine, just testing out the vocal cords!!! Eli did that for awhile and we would tell him to use his inside voice...but I'm pretty sure he didn't have a clue what that meant....he'll probably do it for a few weeks and then move on!!! Too funny, though!

Katie said...

Jason screams back. It works sometimes because I think Zach is so stunned...

katie said...

one word: drugs.

haha...the 8 month old that i babysit hopefully just got done with that phase of life. but who knows.

is he stopped up? (bathroom-wise)

hannah said...

http://www.southernmomsonline.com/articles/65/1/screaming-kids.html

see what you think about this article. it might help.

my education in psychology...and school psychology (with kids) tells me to figure out why he's doing it.

the phrase, "all behavior, no matter how maladaptive, is communication" comes to mind.

how long has he been doing it? is this the first day? what makes him stop? etc. i could go on and on...but i don't know if you've solved the problem already :)

Lauren said...

You ignore it hope he doesn't do it too often...in a few months you will be able to tell him no no and hope he starts to respond....another thing you can do is redirect him when he starts, give him something or show him something new. As long as he is not hurting, that should help. They always seem to do this most when you don't want them to.....like in public

Watch me Grow...

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Me Too...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers